HOW WEIRD IS IT THAT JOHN KASICH ISN'T GOING TO BE VP?
- •There is absolutely *nothing* normal about Donald Trump being the Republican nominee in the real-ass world.Nothing is going to compare to that.
- •However! To a lesser extent, it is amazing that John Kasich—the absolute perfect VP—will not join him.
- •Kasich is the popular governor of a key swing state, who also gained prominence during the Republican debates as "the normal one."
- •In a normal-ass election, Kasich would've been the VP pick of EVERY other candidate.A Rubio/Kasich ticket? Locks Florida and Ohio and balances youth with experience ala Obama/Biden. Jeb Bush? A Kasich pick puts the emphasis on Republican economics rather than unpopular social stances. Ted Cruz? Kasich is an olive branch to sanity, since Rubio would be too wounded.
- •John Kasich was the absolute perfect VP for a sane party.A well-liked and experienced centrist in a swing state? A shop in.
- •When Trump almost certainly picks Indiana Gov Mike Pence, you're going to hear a lot of tempered praise.It isn't a terrible pick! He's pivoting! He's a serious candidate!
- •But remember: his best choice, the obvious choice, the fucking slam dunk wouldn't do it.And we owe him that.