A LIST OF WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT YOUTUBE RED
Google's well aware that YouTube is a video powerhouse of viral hits, music videos and unique shows you cannot find anywhere else. Hoping to capitalize on its success, Google created YouTube Red, a new paid monthly subscription service with several perks that make your viewing experience better. But how does it work? http://cnet.co/1Wk
- •What is YouTube Red?Using YouTube Red, you won't see ads on the YouTube website or within the YouTube apps on mobile and TVs. This does not apply to paid content on YouTube, such as paid channels or TV and movie purchases and rentals. You may still see ads with that content.
- •What devices does it work with?YouTube and YouTube Gaming apps for Android and iOS, Chromecast, Android TV, Apple TV, Consoles (Xbox 360, Xbox One, Wii U, Playstation 3 and Playstation 4), Roku (LT, 1, 2, 2 HD, 2 XD, 2 XS, 3, Streaming Stick, Roku TV), and supported Smart TVs
- •What does it cost and how do I get it?YouTube Red is $10 per month and currently only available in the US. Google plans to open it to more countries in the coming months. You can sign up for a free one-month trial to try before you buy. Go to YouTube's Red landing page to sign in with your Google account and sign up: http://bit.ly/1Giz0o7
- •What kinds of original shows will YouTube Red have?Google announced a sampling of original shows and movies for Red members. Here are a few of the shows and movies set to debut in the next few months: "Scare PewDiePie" is a reality horror series that puts the most popular YouTuber PewDiePie into terrifying situations, inspired by video games. "A Trip to Unicorn Island" is a movie that follows YouTuber IISuperwomanII, also known as Lilly Singh, on her world tour.
- •How does YouTube Red affect me if I don't want to sign up?Google will continue to keep YouTube just the way it is. Without a subscription to Red, you can still watch all of the videos and channels you like on the site, free of charge, but with ads. You will miss out on the extra features Red offers, but nothing will change about how you use YouTube right now. Additionally, most of the original content available through Red will eventually become free with ads after an unspecified amount of time.
- •Why would I want YouTube Red?For some, getting rid of advertisements is reason enough to sign up for YouTube Red, but the other benefits might be more enticing. Offline viewing is great for travelers and commuters and Red offers an easy way to download YouTube videos. Being able to listen to YouTube videos with your phone or tablet's screen turned off is a small, but welcome feature that's sure to please anyone who listens to music on YouTube.