COOLEST VEHICLES IN THE STAR WARS UNIVERSE
As we look forward to "The Force Awakens", here are a few of our picks for the best vehicles in the Star Wars universe. Check out the full gallery of vehicles here: http://cnet.co/1PwHU4K
- •Millennium FalconHan Solo's ship, won from Lando Calrissian in a game of chance, is famously capable of making the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs and traces its design origins back to a hamburger, according to Star Wars creator George Lucas.
- •Imperial Star DestroyerThere's no trace of the hamburger about the Imperial Star Destroyer (or "Imperial cruisers" as Han Solo refers to them in the original 1977 movie). These gargantuan vessels pack all manner of laser cannons and tractor beams, as well as shield generators for defense.
- •AT-ATOkay, they might not be the most practical shape for an ice-planet attack, but the AT-AT is still an imposing war machine. Inspired by the giant cargo cranes in the port of Oakland, the AT-AT requires two drivers and is covered in a mean arsenal of blaster weapons and protective armor.
- •AT-STA close relative of the AT-AT, the AT-ST can be seen in the original trilogy stalking the jungles of Endor. A full-sized model was built to film this Ewok-stomping vehicle, which in "The Return of the Jedi" is commandeered by Chewbacca.
- •'The Force Awakens' landspeederWhat's this vehicle called? We have no idea -- it's a new kind of landspeeder by the looks of things, spotted in the trailer for The Force Awakens. How big a role it plays in the film remains a mystery, but we love the junkyard aesthetic.
- •Anakin's PodracerSpeaking of speed, you'll be hard pressed to find anything that moves faster than Anakin's podracer, built by the 9-year-old prodigy from spare parts. Bound together by energy beams, podracers are nevertheless basically two jet engines strapped to a chair.
- •Imperial ShuttleSay what you like about the Empire, but they know how to arrive in style. The Imperial Shuttle features graceful folding wings, but is well-armed nonetheless, and is the transport of choice for both Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatine.