THIS WEEK IS A WEEK OF HEARTBREAK
Lots of sad stuff and an invitation (request?) at the end.
- •My stepdad checked himself into a psychiatric hospital. Stay: indefinite.Truthfully, his mental illness posed a lot of difficulties for me as a child and I carried some resentment for a long time. Now, as an adult, I'm able to have so much more compassion for him. I'm proud of his courage in seeking wellness and choosing life.
- •Three students got in a car accident. One young woman died.The driver, who I knew well, is in serious condition. A hard thing about living in such a remote area is that anyone in bad shape has to be life flight-ed elsewhere. I keep thinking of her, far away from home, hurting in the worst possible ways. I don't want her to be consumed by guilt. I want her to know that she is loved.
- •Two high schoolers were arrested today for plotting a Columbine-style attack on their classmates at the high school.My heart broke for my sister, who had to drop her kids off at a school with policeman out front, for my niece and nephews, who may not ever understand school as the safe place I knew, for the two young men who must have been so hurt and angry and desperate, for their parents...
- •It's been a lot.
- •I'm a Zen Buddhist.And the first noble truth is that life (the world) is full of suffering.
- •Ezra Bayda, a Zen Buddhist scholar, writes, "And what is the path? To learn to reside in whatever life presents / ...And what is the path? / To turn away from constantly seeking comfort / and from trying to avoid pain."
- •I'm trying to walk that path right now.
- •And it's really hard. So my request to all of you is to be a sangha.Offer your loving-kindness into the world. Send your strength and resilience out toward those who need it, me and my community included.
- •It's a small thing and an incredibly powerful thing, to be a witness.
- •So thank you, to any of you reading this.__/\__ (a bow)