Most Memorable Olympic Moments
- •Honorable Mention: Kurt Angle winning the gold medal in wrestling with a broken neck - Atlanta, 1996.(geez, I wouldn't even recognize him then) I didn't watch it happen, but I've been hearing about it for 17 years, ever since he started pro-wrestling. Plus, he's from Pittsburgh.
- •Honorable Mention: Mary Lou Retton - LA, 1984I had just turned 7 years old and either hadn't watched or don't remember watching the Olympics/her performances, but what I do remember is her being a huge superstar. She was on TV shows, commercials, cereal, magazines, all over. She's not only the first Olympian I knew, but might've been the first sports star I ever knew of. And I have never forgotten this song! https://youtu.be/-KTjGSYmiv4 (starts at :29)
- •Every single Beach Volleyball Match Misty May was ever in - '04, '08, '12Even more so, all the times she won the gold medal, but her just being there was more than enough. (Ron knows what's up, youtu.be/O9W6YPih0SA)
- •US Men's Volleyball - Barcelona, 1992We won our opening match, but then it was overturned due to Japanese protest, saying that Bob Samuelson "fouled out" earlier in the game. Bob had a rare condition that left him hairless, head to toe. So in protest the entire team shaved their heads, including Steve Timmons and his famous red flat top. (he had endorsements due to his recognizable hair style) It was an amazing display of rebellion & comradery. In the end, we won the bronze, but were the story everyone knew.
- •US Women's Gymnastics - Atlanta, 1996You kinda had to be there. Or had watched it at least. My words can't really do it justice. This video can't really do it justice either and wasn't exactly the video I was looking for, but it's the best I could find. http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/magnificent-seven-kerri-strug-vault Also, it gave us this great, classic SNL bit :-) http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/weekend-update-segment---kerry-strug-and-kippy-strug/n10872