My highlights from "Will Grayson Will Grayson." By John Greene
Slight warning. Some of the highlights are pretty dark. Apologies.
- •“i am constantly torn between killing myself and killing everyone around me. those seem to be the two choices. everything else is just killing time.”(Sorry for the morbidity. I find this paragraph mirrors my more morose/cynical thoughts. Never seriously of course. Just bitter bitter honesty.)
- •“the door kinda closes in the middle of her sentence, but it’s not like i can’t guess where it’s going. she used to say ‘see you!’ until one morning i was so sick of it i told her, ‘no, you don’t.’ she tries, and that’s what makes it so pathetic. i just want to say, ‘i feel sorry for you, really i do.’ but that might start a conversation,"“and a conversation might start a fight, and then i’d feel so guilty i might have to move away to portland or something. i need coffee.”
- •“everyone in our school has afterschool activities. mine is going home”
- •“i have a friend request from some stranger on facebook and i delete it without looking at the profile because that doesn’t seem natural. ’cause friendship should not be as easy as that. it’s like people believe all you need to do is like the same bands in order to be soulmates. or books. omg . . . "U like the outsiders 2 . . . it’s like we’re the same person! no we’re not. it’s like we have the same English teacher. There's a difference."
- •“her picture smile isn’t her smile.”
- •"Why would you like someone who can’t like you back?” The question is rhetorical, but if I wasn’t trying to shut up, I’d answer it: You like someone who can’t like you back because unrequited love can be survived in a way that once-requited love cannot.”
- •“I realize this is not, like, boyish. I realize that properly speaking guys should only think about sex and the acquisition of it, and that they should run crotch-first toward every girl who likes them and etc. But: The part I enjoy most is not the doing, but the noticing. Noticing the way she smells like oversugared coffee,""and the difference between her smile and her photograph smile, and the way she bites her lower lip, and the pale skin of her back. I just want the pleasure of noticing these things”.
- •“You know how people are always saying your parents are always right? “Follow your parents’ advice; they know what’s good for you.” And you know how no one ever listens to this advice, because even if it’s true it’s so annoying and condescending that it just makes you want to go,like, develop a meth addiction and have unprotected sex with eighty-seven thousand anonymous partners?"
- •"The things you hope for the most are the things that destroy you in the end.”
- •“But God, when her lips come apart, everything turns warm and her sugar sweet breath is in my mouth, and I probably taste like hot dogs but I don’t care. She kisses like a sweet devouring, and I don’t know where to touch her because I want all of her. I want to touch her knees and her hips and her stomach and her back"“and her everything, but we’re encased in all these clothes, so we’re just two marshmallows bumping against each other, and she smiles at me while still kissing because she knows how ridiculous it is, too. “Better than wisdom?” she asks, her nose touching my cheek. “Tight race,” I say, and I smile back as I pull her tighter to me.”
- •“something about the numbness in my lips after having kissed her that I want to keep and hold onto, something in it that seems pure, that seems like the singular truth.”
- •“God, to go back to when my biggest fear was a hallway”
- •“The floor is always there. Until it’s not.”
- •“i think the idea of a ‘mental health day’ is something completely invented by people who have no clue what it’s like to have bad mental health. the idea that your mind can be aired out in twenty-four hours is kind of like saying heart disease can be cured if you eat the right breakfast cereal. mental health days only exist for people”“who have the luxury of saying ‘i don’t want to deal with things today’ and then can take the whole day off, while the rest of us are stuck fighting the fights we always fight, with no one really caring one way or another, unless we choose to bring a gun to school or ruin the morning announcements with a suicide.”
- •“I said I wouldn’t be the kind of boyfriend who reads her poetry, and I’m not, but I guess I am the kind of cheesy bastard who slips lines of poetry into her mornings.”(The way this character inserts "bastard" and cynicism into his language is so comparable to my inner dialogue.)
- •“NO. No no no. I don’t want to screw you. I just love you. When did who you want to screw become the whole game? Since when is the person you want to screw the only person you get to love? It’s so stupid, Tiny! I mean, Jesus, who even gives a fuck about sex?! People act like it’s the most important thing humans do,but come on. How can our sentient fucking lives revolve around something slugs can do?! “I mean, who you want to screw and whether you screw them? Those are important questions, I guess. But they’re not that important. You know what’s important? Who would you die for? Who do you wake up at five forty-five in the morning for even though you don’t even know why he needs you? Whose drunken nose would you pick?"
- •“this is why we call people exes, i guess - because the paths that cross in the middle end up separating at the end. it’s too easy to see an X as a cross-out. it’s not, because there’s no way to cross out something like that. the X is a diagram of two paths.”