Things I Do Instead of Writing
How do I procrastinate? Let me list the ways...
- •Sharpen scissors by cutting aluminum foil.I read about this on the Internet so it must be true. But if not, it can't hurt to have sharp scissors.
- •Brew tea the old fashioned way.I have a great Flavia machine that will deliver a hot cup of Earl Grey or Green Tea with Jasmine in 90 seconds. But instead of facing a blank screen, I'll boil some water, swirl it around a ceramic teapot, dump that out and boil fresh water. That will go into the teapot with some loose tea measured into a tea ball (or strained later, brewer's choice). Takes a minimum of 10 minutes thanks to all the boiling and steeping.
- •Mix up a marinade.I'll start by juicing fresh lemons in an old-fashioned reamer, using a fork to fish out the seeds. I'm making Lemon Rosemary Chicken - a lovely, easy dish that I modified by doubling the marinade and using chicken thighs instead of bone-in. It's based on this recipe: http://www.savorylotus.com/lemon-rosemary-chicken-thighs/
- •Repair jewelry.Fixing a broken clasp, restringing a bracelet or mending an earring are excellent distractions. They are relatively quick and, unlike online activities, when I'm done I've actually accomplished something on my to-do list.
- •Practice Spanish.Gotta love Duolingo's easy, bite-sized language learning app. While I can't carry on a conversation in Spanish, my vocabulary has improved. Mas. Or is it mucho?
- •Create a list.Like this one. Case in point. What are your best writing rechargers?