A BAKER'S DOZEN OF BOOKS/STORIES TO READ IF YOU LIKED 'THE MARTIAN' MOVIE 🎥📚
I just saw THE MARTIAN. It's amazing...funny, moving and science-y. If you see and also love this movie, here are 13 things I humbly suggest for your to-be-read.
- •The Moon is Hell! By John W. CampbellThe Martian, but on the moon. And written in 1950. Astounding book.
- •Solaris by Stanislaw LemSort of just an amazing, lesser-known classic about space exploration and the essence of humanity.
- •"The Man Who Lost the Sea" by Theodore SturgeonAn amazing story that I won't ruin for you by giving away even one detail. FIND AND READ ASAP.
- •The Road by Cormac McCarthyBRUTAL, post-apocalyptic novel about a father and son trying to make it in a seemingly snuffed-out world. I read this while starting to get separated/divorced. I do not recommend this reading strategy, however.
- •Robinson Crusoe by Daniel DeoeThe classic survival story about a dude who survives for thirty years on a wee island in The Caribbean.
- •Lord of the Flies by William GoldingGroup of tweener British boys survive/"go native" after their plane crashes near an uninhabited island in the South Pacific.
- •South: The Endurance Expedition by Ernest ShackletonStory of how Shackleton and his crew survived for two years on an expedition-gone-bad to try and be the first to land-cross Antarctica.
- •Alive: The Story of the Andes Survivors by Piers Paul ReedDetails how 16 people survived (which included eating the dead) for months after their plane crashed high in the Andes Mountains.
- •"To Build a Fire" by Jack LondonGuy tries to survive a cold, winter day near the Yukon Trail. Of all stories that make me feel cold when I read it, this one tops the list.
- •Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'DellStory of a girl who survives for a few years alone on a little island off the coast of California in the 1800s.
- •I Am Legend by Richard MathesonStarted the modern post-apocalypse zombie genre. Story of a lone, human survivor in a world devastated by a global, man-made pandemic.
- •Enemy Mine by Barry B. LongyearThe story of two mortal enemies who need to cooperate in order to survive together on a hostile, alien world.
- •The Martian by Andy Weir:) You know. In case ya ain't read the actual novel yet. It's great.