LITTLE-KNOWN FACTS ABOUT JD SALINGER
I'm SALINGER-obsessed. I edited a book called LETTERS TO JD SALINGER and was Associate Producer of Shane Salerno's feature-length SALINGER documentary.
- •Salinger carried a draft of THE CATCHER IN THE RYE around with him as he fought his way across Europe in WW II.
- •Salinger wasn't a recluse. He travelled the world visiting war buddies, had dinner at friends' homes and went to local events/church dinners/bookstores near his home in Cornish, NH.
- •Salinger only had one testicle.
- •According to Shane Salerno, a bunch more Salinger books will be published starting this year (2015).
- •Salinger's first wife, the half-German, half-French Sylvia Welter, may have been a Gestapo informant/Nazi sympathizer.
- •In the book version of the Kevin Costner movie, FIELD OF DREAMS, the character Ray Kinsella kidnaps a fictional JD Salinger and takes him to a baseball game.
- •Salinger had a huge reel to reel feature-length movie collection.
- •Salinger thought the hamburgers at Burger King were better than hamburgers at other fast food chains.
- •When Salinger was ~30, he met a 14-year-old girl on a beach in Florida. He later had a romantic relationship with her (Jean Miller). Jean is said to be the real-life inspiration for Esme in the Salinger story, "For Esme With Love and Squalor."
- •Salinger's dad, Sol, wanted Salinger to join him in the meat and cheese-importing business.
- •Salinger considered allowing CATCHER to be made into a movie, but only if *he* got to play Holden Caulfield.