People You See at the Barnes & Noble® Café...
...on a Saturday afternoon.
- •The Never-Buy / The ShowroomerStacks of Barnes and Noble books on the table. No snacks or drinks from the cafe. Sitting there all day, reading and reading and reading, never purchasing a thing.
- •The Have-a-MeetingFour people. Two round tables pulled together. Steno pads. Excel®. Coffee with cream in to-go cups. Intense conversing and note-taking. Soft, leather briefcases.
- •The Wi-FiSurfing the Web, usually on a 15-pound Dell® laptop with stickers all over it. White earbuds. Hard Rock Café® t-shirt.
- •The HomeworkerOverstuffed backpack. Battered MacBook® Air. Headphones. Stack of textbooks. One Venti® cappuccino. Gaudy, Forever 21® blouse.
- •The Old Lady / The Old GuyBrought library books and a bottle of orange juice from home. Flip phone. Lots of nose-blowing. Smiling at everyone. Shawl. Bifocals hanging around neck. Napkin with lipstick on it.
- •The Phone-TalkerVenti® iced mango tea, sitting by the window, loud smart phone conversation, Bluetooth® earpiece, tube socks, Hawaiian shirt.
- •The Beats®Not reading. Not studying. Just sitting there, wearing a coat in the summertime, jamming to Spotify®. Eyes closed. Smirking.
- •The Divorced Dad17 napkins all over the table and floor, one kid in a seat, one on the dad's lap. Dad gets Grande, iced Americano. Potato chip crumbs, board books, shrieking. Spilled bottle of water. More shrieking. More napkins. Diaper bag.
- •The Married CoupleSaying grace before eating identical orange-cranberry scones with knives and forks. Both reading Nook® eBooks on iPad Pros. Bottles of Fuji® water.
- •The Off-Duty BarristaGreen visor and apron. Texting. Android® phone with shattered screen. Venti®, caramel Frappucinno®. Table nearest the trash can. Pizza pretzel.