By Christina Rossetti
- •Remember me when I am gone away,
- •Gone far away into the silent land;
- •When you can no more hold me by the hand,
- •Nor I half turn to go yet turning stay.
- •Remember me when no more day by day
- •You tell me of our future that you plann'd:
- •Only remember me; you understand
- •It will be late to counsel then or pray.
- •Yet if you should forget me for a while
- •And afterwards remember, do not grieve:
- •For if the darkness and corruption leave
- •A vestige of the thoughts that once I had,
- •Better by far you should forget and smile
- •Than that you should remember and be sad.