THINGS I HAVE TO CLEAR UP BEING FROM NEW MEXICO
People have really weird ideas about what New Mexico is & isn't and most are wrong. ***these are all real things I've been asked more than 5 times
- •"So, are you Mexican?!"No, but it's neat that you assume my tan denotes my ethnicity though 👌
- •"Do you speak Spanish?!"Yeah, this one may be more my inability to grasp languages, but even if it's solely me, we aren't at 100%.
- •"Why don't you sound like you're from New Mexico?!"I'm not 100% sure what I should sound like to fit this stereotype, but also to clear this one up: I've said y'all since grade school, instead of a "I got to school in the south so I'm going to pretend that y'all rolls off my tongue" sort of thing.
- •"Isn't it ugly to just live in the desert with all the sand and cactus?!"I live ~1.5 miles above sea level in the mountains, so I'll let you figure this one out.
- •"Oh, but it's still really hot, right?!"Also a no. I've never felt closer to death than when Nashville is 80 degrees with 80% humidity.
- •"Do you live in Albuquerque or Santa Fe?!"I know it's shocking but the 5th largest state does have more than the two cities you've heard of.
- •"Wait...if I come to visit you, do I need a passport?!"😣