Why I LOVE working in the restaurant industry...
It's definitely a love/hate relationship ... In the spirit of this community on LIST, I'm going to stay positive 😊
- •The chatter in the kitchen ...Not even the dirty jokes, and stories of the night before ... but the "fire table 70", "3 min on those scallops", "fuck that's hot" ... It's hard to explain unless you've been in the trenches, but it's almost its own dialect of The English language.
- •Kitchen camaraderie ...When you work with the same people, so close that you often touch, under in very stressful conditions, in kitchens hotter than hell, AT LEAST 5 days a week, you can't help but form a special friendship. When you don't want to kill that person, you're pretty much brothers.
- •Wait staff ...No, not because they're great at their job, or I think they're really smart (although I will admit, I've worked with some really great servers), but because let's face it ... Every cook enjoys the glimpse of a nice behind to break up a crazy night.
- •No shortage of pick-me-ups ...Or downers for that matter. I guess what I'm saying is there's no shortage of supplies to help you "unwind" after work.
- •Cooking is a skill that shouldn't be taken for granted ...When I see a lot of people attempt to cook, or only eat processed, already prepared food, I realize how lucky I am that my job has taught me a practical skill that I use every day.
- •The people ...I'm not a people person ... And neither is my crew. Kitchen people are a special breed. You know somebody will cut it in your kitchen fairly quickly once you've been at it for a while. The diversity, and just unique personalities that are behind those kitchen doors are amazing ... And can be scary haha
- •Free food ...They say "never trust a skinny chef" ... That's bullshit, but sounds good to me👍🏻