My Top 10 Albums of 2017 Thus-far (unfinished)
Albums that either blew my mind or were just hella great listens. Check 'em out if you haven't heard them yet.
- •Grandaddy - Last PlaceI didn't think they could get any better after The Software Slump, but woooah did they. Beautiful arpeggiated synths, full crunchy guitars, and a lot of classical piano influence put Grandaddy on a whole new level. This is my favorite album of the year by a long shot. Standout Songs: Way We Won't, The Boat Is In The Barn, That's What You Get For Gettin' Outta Bed. Least Favorite Song: Evermore
- •Declan McKenna - What Do You Think About the Car?The debut album by the 18-year-old artist. Taking major influence from Bowie, and some Indie Rock and Pop, this album has some of the best lyrics and songwriting I've heard in a long long time. Standout Songs: Humungous, Brazil, Mind, Bethlehem, Paracetamol, Listen To Your Friends. Least Favorite Song: Isombard
- •The Killers - Wonderful WonderfulThis being the bands first new record in five years, I was pretty excited. Their last album was not great, but they bounce back on this album so strongly. There is so much soul and energy on this record. Some songs being very personal like Rut, about his wife's depressions, or Tyson vs. Douglas. It really shows that The Killers are back. Standout Songs: Wonderful Wonderful, The Man, Rut, Tyson vs. Douglas, Some Kind of Love, Have All The Songs Been Written? Least Favorite Song: The Calling
- •Death From Above - Outrage! is NowBack for their 3rd record! This combines my favorite things about their first two albums and then some. The bass is so powerful. I love the keyboard parts like on Freeze Me and Holy Books. The drums are really driving, heavy, but also have a lot of awesome grooves. Standout Songs: Holy Books,Outrage! is Now, Freeze Me, Moonlight, Statues. Least Favorite Songs: All I C is U & Me
- •Royal Blood - How Did We Get So Dark?Royal Blood's sophomore album takes their sound to a new level with bigger bass sounds, more dynamic drums, and for the first time backing vocals. Also the keys in the verses of Hole In Your Heart are a nice addition to the sound. Standout Songs: She's Creeping, Hook Line & Sinker, Lights Out, Hole In Your Heart. Least Favorite Song: Sleep
- •Nothing But Thieves - Broken MachineTheir second album doesn't try to mimic their first album at all. This album branches out a bit more stylistically then their debut with tracks like I'm Not Made By Design, and Broken Machine which has a weird hip-hop inspired beat. This is still very much a rock album though. The rhythm section absolutely kills it on this record. I might actually like this more than their debut. Standout Songs: Broken Machine, I'm Not Made By Design, Soda, Particles, Number 13. Least Favorite Song: Get Better
- •Paramore - After LaughterParamore is a band that usually gets lumped in with the Emo and Pop/Punk bands that were similar at the time, but this album throws all of that out of the window. Taking Influence from The Talking Heads, Bowie, and dance music, their sound has developed so much. Standout Songs: Hard Times, Told You So, Fake Happy (edit). Least Favorite Songs: Tell Me How, 26.
- •Mac Demarco - This Old DogMac is back with a lot more Synths and longer songs that have the substance to back them up. Standout Songs: One More Love Song, Moonlight On The River, On The Level. Least Favorite Song: Baby You're Out
- •Alex Cameron - Forced WitnessThis album really came out of nowhere for me. This is a yacht rock kinda thing with a really big 80's heartland rock or Springsteen sorta sound. The lyrics are super clever and hilarious at some parts like on the song Marlon Brando. Definitely worth checking out. Standout Songs: Candy May, Runnin' Outta Luck, True Lies, Marlon Brando. Least Favorite Song: Country Figs