Some Observations From the Weed Doctor
Just some things I noticed when I accompanied a friend to get a medical marijuana card from a "doctor's office" above a record store on Haight Street
- •The front desk is decorated with a poster of a card that has been issued to a man named "Robert Marley" who lives at 420 Freedom St. in SF.
- •At 11 on a Sunday the front desk is manned by a wide-eyed woman in a red cocktail dress who looks like she has escaped some very severe drug problems and now smokes weed all day every day and her family is eternally grateful for this.
- •It is a hot day and the lady opens a door to the fire escape. Outside there is a guy with a large backpack with a sleeping bag rolled on top climbing down the fire ladder from the roof where he appears to have spent the night.
- •In line there is a short and bearded man who is having some sort of paperwork problems and when the front desk lady tells him he will have to buy a new prescription he says "Whatever, if you don't want to show me any compassion, that's cool!" and then storms out of the office.
- •We are called and presented with a disclaimer that has a bunch of legalese that says, among other things, that weed can both help and cause anxiety.
- •And then we sit and wait by a coffee table with a bunch Vogues and Glamours but instead of reading I admire the office decorations. I especially like the teddy bear, which is passed out in a candy bowl with a plastic weed leaf.