- •Feeling a little silly at the dinner table, our 7-year-old son leaned over close to me, stared, and gave me a playful stink eye.
- •Pausing and staring back, I responded in a very authoritarian voice, "If your mother was not here, I would burp at you."
- •My son smiled, but I was immediately filled with regret, because I had actually said this in front of his mother.
- •Sheepishly, I glanced across the table toward my lovely bride, who happens to embrace the use of table manners. She was smiling.
- •Apparently, she also recognizes an act of Fatherly Playfulness, as well as Fatherly Restraint.