HOW TO MAKE KOMBUCHA
The gift that keeps on giving (that you actually want).
- •Bring 12 cups of water to a boil.
- •Add 1 to 1.5 cups of sugar, let boil for 5 minutes.
- •Remove from heat and add 2 bags of black tea and two bags of green tea.I always remove the tag so no dye gets in my brew. You can experiment with adding in different types of tea.
- •Let steep 10 minutes.
- •Transfer to glass bowl, let sit until room temperature (about 2 hours).You can speed this part up by doing an ice bath.
- •Once room temperature, transfer to a large glass wide-mouth jar, add 6 ounces of starter kombucha (kombucha that's already made), and add the Scoby.I got my Scoby from a friend who makes her own brew. Some sites say you can make your own Scoby from store bought kombucha, but most products have been pasteurized, so that wouldn't work. You can order them from sites such as this one: http://bit.ly/1EwDaEc Can't vouch for them, but that's the idea.
- •Cover with a thin towel (linen works great) and a rubber band.
- •Let sit out of direct sunlight for 7-10 days. Start tasting to see how you like it.
- •When it's ready, bottle in glass flip-top bottles. This is the fun part.You can experiment with all kinds of flavors. My favorite is to chop ginger and let it sit for a couple of days to get fizzy. Let the air out once a day to make sure it doesn't over carbonate. When it tastes good, keep it in the fridge.
- •Enjoy the most delicious pro-biotic drink ever!
- •Keep 6 oz of the kombucha and the Scoby for the next batch. The Scoby will grow thicker, eventually you can peel off enough Scoby to share with a friend.You can also compost any excess Scoby.