WHY I LOVE CATS (THE MUSICAL)
- •I'm not known as a fan of musical theater or dance or even TS Eliot.Btw the musical Cats was created when Andrew Lloyd Webber set a collection of TS Eliot poems to music. Yes, TS Eliot the who wrote The Waste Land.
- •In the 5th grade, I had an amazing teacher called Mr. Williams. He introduced the class to Harry Potter, taught us history by pretending to be pirates, and we ended everyday by singing a couple of songs.
- •So to help us learn to analyze texts, he printed booklets of all the lyrics to Cats and we watched the VHS and listened to the soundtrack.
- •At the time, I lived in the East County of San Diego where people are pretty much the opposite of your stereotypical California hippie.
- •As far as I know , though, no parents had any problems with Mr. Williams spending significant class time on musical theater.
- •Also, I don't think I'm the only 10 year old girl who got funny feelings from the swaggering gyrating performance of the Rum Tum Tugger.Jesus, his name alone sounds like a sex act.
- •He was like a rock star. But also in furry tights.
- •So thank you Mr. Williams. I have not forgotten. I will hold those dancing cats close to my bosom for all time.