NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTIONS
I lost myself a little in 2016 even though I made some important strides. I'm taking it all back in 2017.
- •FITNESS GOALS:This is where I felt the most deficient this past year. I basically didn't work out all year for the first time ever in my life. Little pissed at myself, but I had some issues that needed sorting first.
- •Get back to 190 pounds (at least).I put on what I would call a horrifying amount of weight - especially when I had to eat so much damn bread for the "Gluten Challenge" to be tested for Celiac Disease. That's all behind me now and I've already dropped about 14 pounds. I don't expect too much trouble from this guy.
- •Run sub-30 5kAfter not running at all for a year and slowing down dramatically before that I think this is a perfectly reasonable goal (if not too easy). In my current state this will take a little work, but it won't be too difficult and I'm happy to know what I'm working toward.
- •Rehabilitate Shoulder and return to Jiu JitsuI listed about this a while ago, but my efforts have been delayed by the aforementioned medical testing. Now there shouldn't be too much standing between me and focusing on rehabilitation.
- •Prioritize sleepI'm so bad at this and I've been learning recently about how important sleep is to so many facets of life. Time to knuckle down and give myself a bed time! (As weird as it sounds, I think this is my toughest fitness goal)
- •PROFESSIONAL GOALSI got a great new job this year (2016) and I'd like to carry that momentum into 2017. (And become a more valuable asset to my team. So far I've fallen short of my expectations for myself.)
- •Complete a Track on Team TreehouseTreehouse is a great education platform for web technologies (I'm interested in design and development). Even though I've completed many courses I have yet to complete a full track.
- •Launch a sound design productMy side hustle needs some loving. Besides needing to release some more foley sounds I really need to complete a major sampling synthesizer I've had in the works for some time now.
- •Complete my personal websiteWhat I have up right now is terrible. It did show my current employers I could figure out CSS frameworks quickly (in this case Twitter's Bootstrap) and landed me a job. It's not good for anything else though. Time to do a better job marketing myself.
- •PERSONAL GOALS:Not really sure what the best name for this section is.
- •Continue learning to cookCooking fresh wholesome food has become the center of my fragile little world. I can't believe how much I've learned in month alone - from using cast iron skillets and pressure cookers to learning how to cook and prepare all kinds of crazy vegetables. I enjoy being able to occasionally prepare something for the family more than I thought I would!
- •Marie Kondo the shit out of my belongings.We are on the cusp of a dramatic lifestyle change and purging a lot of stuff is the first step. Hopefully we'll earn some cash selling stuff we don't need too.
- •FINANCIAL GOALS:Our finances are adequate, but FAR from ideal. We have a lot of work to do. Baby steps in 2017 include:
- •Pay off Amie's student loansWe're on the final 10k you guys! This won't be easy, but might be achievable with certain aforementioned lifestyle changes.
- •Replenish minimum emergency fundWe're below a thousand dollars and I'm not a fan. I hope to at least get back to that (not including separate accounts for car repair, etc)
- •And the first goal falls! (02.19.2017)My high was 216.8 on 11.27.16.
- •2nd Goal Achieved: Return to Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (03.26.2017)I got to roll today! It was so good to be back on the mats. It was gigantically stupid though - my shoulder wasn't the best this week. I stopped early but then hurt myself doing some shoulder dislocates (common stretch that sounds more gruesome than it is). Meh, I'll just have to take it a day at a time.