MY BRAND OF FEMININITY
Inspired by @chrisfon and everyone else. It's funny, I wouldn't have described myself as particularly "feminine." But reading your lists and writing this one made me realize that it's a broader term than I was giving it credit for. 💜
- •I wear minimal makeup (powder, blush, mascara) or no makeup, unless I'm going out. Then I add lip gloss. Fancy!
- •I like clothes and shopping for clothes. Feeling good in my clothes contributes to my happiness. Dresses, jeans, workout clothes, whatever, as long as they fit well and are comfortable.Dresses are a recent love. It's just one item! I don't have to match it to anything! So easy and cute!
- •Sometimes I shave my legs and love how smooth they feel. Oftentimes I don't shave them and don't care about how hairy they feel.
- •I love necklaces and earrings. I have favorites but generally pick according to my mood and outfit. Even if I'm not wearing makeup, I'm probably wearing at least a necklace and earrings. I'd like to get some cool rings.
- •I keep my nails short and I don't like nail polish on my fingernails. It chips and then I pick at it. I occasionally paint my toenails. I like them both ways, painted or bare.
- •I am soft and comfortable. My kids love my "squishy middle part," as they call it. I could do with it being slightly less squishy but it also reminds me that I grew two beautiful kids in there.
- •I feel at home as a mom, and being seen as a mom.
- •I get my hair cut 3-ish times a year. I get really grumpy when it's too long, but it's curly so that takes a while. I spend a lot on a haircut and hair products because I love when my hair looks good.
- •I don't dye my hair, which feels like a tiny rebellion. I have a gray streak in the front that I love.I had a "friend" tell me that she thinks long gray hair is disgusting. To that, I say 🖕🏼!
- •Being able to get stuff done by myself makes me feel feminine and badass at the same time. Putting together furniture, using power tools, mowing the lawn, hanging shelves, etc.
- •Feeling physically strong also makes me feel feminine. Yoga and running are the two things I like best, and my goal is to be able to do either with ease.
- •At the same time, part of how I view my femininity is the role I play in my family and friends' lives. I am safe, comforting, empathetic, warm, and kind. I try to give them a soft place to land, as the saying goes. This seems very feminine to me.