TODAY I QUIT MY JOB
- •I used to be an editor at the 5th largest publishing house in the world.Not that one... not that one... yep, THAT one.
- •I've been in this industry since I was 19. That's almost a decade. In that time, I worked at two of the biggest literary agencies in the industry, another Big 5 publishing house, and for a brief time was an assistant to @susanorlean and her husband. (Hi, Susan!)
- •I've worked with some amazing people.
- •Do you know @marniethedog on Instagram? I was her editor.That book almost fucking killed me.
- •And Instagram star @QuarterLifePoetry. I was her editor, too.That book comes out the first week of April. Buy it.
- •Aaaaaaaaand my favorite client of all-time: RuPaul's Drag Race contestant Willam Belli. It was an absolute honor and privilege to be his editor.He is the most talented, professional, and hands-down easiest person I've ever worked with. His book comes out 10/4/16 and it's DISGUSTINGLY GOOD. If you don't buy it, I pity you. Seriously.
- •But here's the thing about being an editor: my job is to make other people's literary aspirations come true.
- •Plus, it's pretty standard for me to work until 10pm most nights and every weekend.
- •I couldn't write my book with that kind of work schedule.
- •So I'm leaving.
- •I'm gonna keep writing for magazines.
- •I'm gonna write my goddamn book this year. My agent will sell it. (No pressure, @JimMcCarthy...)
- •And make ~my~ writing dreams come true.
- •If I fall on my face and fail, who cares? I can just return to publishing.
- •Cuz guess what? I'm a really good fucking editor. ✌🏻️
- •(I might have also gotten in trouble a lot for breaking dress code all the time.)One if my worst offenses was a pair of ripped, baggy jeans, a black leotard, black Doc Martens and a snapback. My manager was like, "You legit look like a backup dancer for Janet Jackson."
- •These are the boots I wore today when I gave notice to HR.