EIGHT BIRDS IN MY BACKYARD ... AND FOUR THAT I WISH WERE
It's never dull in our backyard. One bird or another is always squawking, singing, chirping, swooping, pooping, fighting, or having sex. Inspired by @ellied
- 1.HummingbirdsAnna's, Allen's, and rufous vie for spots on our three feeders. This little jewel is sitting outside the kitchen window. They are so unafraid of our cat, they often hover right in front of his nose.
- 2.CrowsGenius birds; I have a lot of respect for them. Here's a whole murder of 'em, adults supervising flight school for the youngsters.
- 3.Mourning dovesWe have two pair that call about six backyards home; we can always spot them somewhere close.
- 4.Black PhoebesSweet, enthusiastic little things that make a lot of cute noises, nest in the eaves of our neighbor's house, and are so friendly that three have basically flown into my cat's mouth. I feel awful about it, but really, the Phoebes flew right up to him. What's a cat to do?!
- 5.OriolesI pulled out one yellow flower stopper on the feeder outside our bedroom, so the migrating orioles could get at the nectar easier. They are super skittish; I got this only because I already had the phone in my hand.
- 6.MockingbirdsSee previous list for my thoughts on killing. Not that I would, but it would be in self-defense. They are very aggressive when protecting their nest and will fly at your head and dive bomb your cat—and this after I gave them soft items with which to build said nest. Ingrates.
- 7.Wild parrotsMostly I see them goofing around in the trees by our local Kohl's, but they will occasionally drop by our backyard.
- 8.Red-tailed hawkLarge and menacing, they occasionally sit on the telephone pole in our yard. They are so majestic, even when the crows mob one and chase it away. Actually, the way the hawk flies off, I don't think it's being scared off so much as it's just super annoyed at being harassed.
- 9.PuffinsInspired to love them by a Little Golden Book called Mrs. Ticklefeather. (Photo: Andreas Mulder from puffinpalooza.com)
- 10.OwlsIt seems as though there should be some around the neighborhood, but I've never hear their distinctive sound after dark.
- 11.This guy:I have a shifelera in the back yard, like the one you're in, Funny Dude. Come on over!
- 12.The Cebu FlowerpeckerOr any of the flowerpeckers from the Philippines. Whatever I need to plant in my yard for your comfort, consider it done. And bring your friends.