EXAMPLES OF WHY PROOFREADERS AND COPY EDITORS ARE IMPORTANT (ongoing list)
An outlet for my sadness and disgust.
- •An old T-shirtThis one is a little hard to spot because your brain reads what it thinks it should say. And that's the reason why we're needed: we are professional readers.
- •A television commercialI saw it while fast-forwarding past. UPDATE: I wrote this fitness center company about this (as I'm sure did others)—it was a huge ad campaign with signage in their gyms even. The entire campaign has since disappeared.
- •A digital photo frame
- •Skeletal costumes in Aisle 6, perhaps?
- •My single greatest word usage irritation: Everyday / Every DayEveryday is an adjective that describe things that are commonplace or ordinary. Every day as two words means each day. Every is the adjective that modifies the noun day. Every day I have the everyday task of brushing my teeth. It's used incorrectly so often in advertising I've lost track. This isn't some debatable, fine point of English usage, it's flat out wrong. 😤
- •My favorite band, Squeze, is responsible for this! I love this T-shirt and the tour it came from, but, honestly! I have trouble wearing it now.
- •Judgmental is so often misspelled! See Item #2.And, yeah, I watch Marriage Boot Camp! Something wrong with that‽ Honestly, if you are watching it with your significant other, it can be an easy way to open up discussion about minor issues that should be dealt with. Free therapy with comic relief!
- •If your metal stamping kit doesn't come with an apostrophe, rephraseOff the top of my head, Mermaid in disguise would work.My daughter would like this, but I can't. I just can't buy or give a mistake like this.🤷🏻♀️