I LOVE YOU, CALIFORNIA
The Golden State celebrated its 166th anniversary on September 9. In honor of my state, enjoy some fun facts.
- •Our FlagDesigned by William Todd, nephew of Mary Todd Lincoln, in 1846 and adopted by the state in 1911.
- •The State SealThere are thirty-one stars at the top indicating the states already in the union when California joined in.
- •State BirdThe California Valley Quail. They build their nests on the ground, and females can lay up to twenty-eight eggs!
- •State FlowerCalifornia Poppy. Also called the flame flower or copa de oro, Native Americans used the poppy for food and for the oil. Every April 6 is California Poppy Day.
- •Our State Song: I Love You, CaliforniaI love you, California, you're the greatest state of all. I love you in the winter, summer, spring and in the fall. I love your fertile valleys; your dear mountains I adore. I love your grand old ocean and I love her rugged shore. —
- •State InsectThe California Dogface Butterfly. In 1929, California was the first state to designate a state insect.
- •State AmphibianThe California red-legged frog has been our state amphibian since 2014. A group of school kids lobbied in Sacramento for the frogs' designation.
- •We have an official state grass!No, not that (but it should be). It's purple needle grass, and it was one of the main grasses on California prairies.
- •AND we also have a state plaidBased on Scotland's Muir Clan tartan, in honor of John Muir, the California State District Tartan was designated in 2001.
- •Regarding the State of Jefferson ...There is an ongoing campaign to establish a fifty-first state by combining a small slice of Southern Oregon with the top portion of California and call it Jefferson. It always seemed like a risky proposition; however, they have two valuable assets: weed and water. The plan might work!
- •There are many other official categories:State fish, fife and drum band, reptile. State fossil, dance, ghost town, marine mammal, marine reptile, and more. My reference site was statesymbolsusa.org. Check out your state!
- •Most importantly ...It is CALIFORNIA. Not Cali. Stop it!