WHY VALLEY GIRL IS ON MY LIST OF BEST MOVIES EVER
Valley Girl is my favorite movie of all time. Here's why:
- 1.The musicIt's all great, but mostly two words: The Plimsouls. Oh, two more: Josie Cotton!
- 2.Nicolas CageWhen you were so adept at genuine expressions and body language that you hardly needed to speak to tell your story. Watch as Randy leaves the prom after regaining his love, Julie. Pure, raw triumph.
- 3.The settingThe San Fernando Valley, specifically the West Valley, was my home. Watching it is, like, seeing old family home movies.
- 4.The storyPopular Valley Girl Julie dumps Val Dude meathead Tommy for Randy, the cool, dangerous boy from over the hill. Julie's friends want her to stay with her own kind. It's Romeo and Juliet without the poison.
- 5.Julie's parentsColleen Camp and Frederick Forrest are Valley hippies (translation: health food store owners who own a really nice house), who dole out wise advice and are a nice '60s counterpart to the 1980s-era Valley vibe.
- 6.Deborah ForemanI wondered for years if the girl who played Julie—the ultimate Valley Girl—was the same Deborah Foreman I went to school with ... in the Valley. I later found out it wasn't her, but it would have been tripindicular if it was.
- 7.Sherman Oaks GalleriaThe ultimate Valley mall, fer shur!