Why My Norwegian Grandma Lived to 103
Martina was an immigrant who left Nesna for the West Coast when she was 16, ending up in Hadley AK as a cook in a mining camp. She died in 1982 after a full life of love, loss and wisdom.
- •Put family above all."When everything else is gone it's all you have."
- •Take care of your body, your eyes & teeth."After 40 your parts start wearing out."
- •Enjoy the little things around you every day.She lived in Ketchikan and when a flower came into bloom she would stop and gasp and say "isn't that beautiful!"
- •Fresh air & exercise, every day.Grandma walked to & from work every day until she was 99.
- •Keep your mind focused.She ran her own business, a women's store, until she was 99.
- •Keep an active social life.Even after the shop shut down she continued to see her friends, went to the Elks Club, volunteered. She never sat idle.
- •A little wine never hurts.A glass of Sherry before dinner every night helped with nerves & digestion.
- •All things in moderation.A cigarette, menthol, once in a while. Lemon drops or chocolates occasionally. Never binge.
- •Read about the world.You have to know about more than just your town. (I wish she could have seen the internet!)
- •Travel to visit relatives every chance you get.After all, they're the most important thing there is after all the rest is gone.
- •Buy fresh food every day and cook it simply."Too much fussing with nature isn't good for us."