by Anne Sexton
- •Be careful of wordseven the miraculous ones.
- •For the miraculous we do our best,sometimes they swarm like insects and leave not a sting but a kiss.
- •They can be as good as fingers.
- •They can be as trusty as the rock you stick your bottom on.But they can be both daisies and bruises.
- •Yet I am in love with words.
- •They are doves falling out of the ceiling.They are six holy oranges sitting in my lap.
- •They are the trees, the legs of summer and the sun,its passionate face.
- •Yet often they fail me.
- •I have so much I want to sayso many stories images, proverbs, etc.
- •But the words aren't good enoughthe wrong ones kiss me.
- •Sometimes I fly like an eaglebut with the wings of a wren.
- •But I try to take care, and be gentle with them.Words and eggs must be handled with care.
- •Once broken, they are impossible to repair.