50 YEARS AGO TODAY... 😢😢😢
⚠️ warning: this list is about a disaster that claimed over 100 lives, exactly 50 years ago.
- •One village, Aberfan in Wales.
- •21 October 1966.
- •150,000 cubic metres of coal waste and mining debris suddenly slid down into the village.
- •Pantglas School was buried in the slurry.
- •116 children killed.
- •The children were aged between 7 and 10.
- •28 adults died.
- •Five teachers were among the dead.
- •A few children were pulled out alive.
- •No survivors were found after 11am.
- •It took nearly a week before all of the bodies were recovered.
- •😢If the disaster had struck a few minutes earlier, the children would not have been in their classrooms. If it had happened later in the day, the children would have left for their half term holiday.
- •😢The stories are truly heartbreaking. I'm in tears just reading about it.
- •😢It's been featured a lot in the British media this week. An absolute tragedy THAT COULD HAVE BEEN PREVENTED if the warnings had been heeded.