CAREER QUESTIONS FOR ALL LI.STERS
Inspired by @amieshmamie! I've been a diplomat for 20 years.
- •1. I thought about diplomacy as a career after I graduated from university. I had a degree in languages and I wanted to use them.I just knew that I wanted to travel.
- •2. My degree was a four year course - the third year was spent in Italy! 🇮🇹The year abroad was one of the very best things about uni!
- •3. Free - Gratis - Nada!My local authority paid for my degree. Back in those days (1987), there were no such things as student loans. Families' income were taken into account: I was the eldest of four children and my parents' income was low. I am angry, anxious and apprehensive about paying for tertiary education as I think that only rich families will be able to afford it.
- •4. Best part of my job: definitely the people, both at home and overseas! And the travelling!!! It has been an honour and a privilege to work as a diplomat.Nepal - Yemen - Seychelles - Pakistan - Philippines - Guyana - Kazakhstan - France - Costa Rica - Paraguay - Tunisia - Cambodia - Australia - USA - Brazil - Canada.
- •5. Worst part of my job: being apart from my family.I accept this, of course. The missed birthdays, anniversaries, weddings.
- •6. Ironic part of my job: I am not very diplomatic! I mean what I say, and say what I mean.I often get into trouble because of this.
- •7. End goal? Why, world peace of course!That would be nice.
- •8. If I wasn't a diplomat?I would definitely be working in the public sector. But my dream job would involve travelling to art galleries to look at Renaissance art and 19th century French paintings!
- •9. I'm content, but... International relations are going through a rough period right now.Both at home and abroad.