[ 📽 ] FILM FRIDAY: CHRISTMAS EDITION: LOVE ACTUALLY: WHY KAREN (EMMA THOMPSON) IS THE BEST
Full disclosure: I bloody LOVE this film, despite all the things that are just plain WRONG about it (fancying your best mate's bride; fooling around when you are married; Brit guy going to the States to get laid... UGH!!!) Emma Thompson is FANTASTIC in this and I want to acknowledge that in this list!
- •OK, so the other thing you should know is that I first saw this film in the cinema in December 2003 when it first came out, but I was living in Australia at the time and it was early SUMMER and it was SO HOT!
- •But watching a film mostly about Brits in the Northern Hemisphere getting ready for Christmas made me SO HOMESICK that I thought I would collapse with sadness! So that's the context.
- •KAREN IS GREAT BECAUSE:She is a GREAT friend to the grief stricken Liam Neesom. She is fab because she tells it like it is.
- •KAREN IS GREAT BECAUSE:She is a GREAT mother to her kids. She gives them her time and attention, but I don't think she loses herself in motherhood.
- •KAREN IS GREAT BECAUSE:She is a GREAT wife to Alan Rickman RIP. She could have poured scalding hot water over his genitals, but she doesn't. She talks to him and explains EXACTLY how she feels about his betrayal. I think she forgives but she will NEVER forget.
- •KAREN IS GREAT BECAUSE:She is a GREAT sister to Hugh Grant. She does not care that he is the flipping Prime Minister! She teases him in front of Natalie and she tells him when he has done a good job standing up to Prez Billy Bob.
- •But EMMA THOMPSON is superb in *that* scene:It TEARS ME APART!
- •Karen is the moral compass of the whole film and I ❤️ her OK???