LANGUAGES I SPEAK AND WHY
Inspired by @13sblakely
- •English (Native tongue)Born in the UK, so...
- •French patois (Caribbean) 🇩🇲... But my parents were born here 👆🏾So, when me and my sisters were children and my parents wanted to gossip, talk about secret stuff and EXCLUDE us from juicy convos, they would speak in this language. Naturally me and my sisters learned this language SUPER FAST because kids are nosey and sneaky. It is a spoken language, mostly.
- •Proper French 🇫🇷Having learned French patois, I had a head start over the other students when we started learning French at age eleven. Learning foreign languages at secondary school was compulsory when I was a secondary school student, nearly 40 years ago. It is a crying shame that this is not the case now.
- •German 🇩🇪I loved languages so much at school that I took the option of learning a second language at age 13. I was good at it, but it didn't grab my attention in the same way that French did. I stopped German lessons after my exams when I was 16.
- •Italian 🇮🇹My love of all things Italian started at an early age - after seeing The Godfather on TV and the lead character in Flashdance saying she bought French and Italian Vogue, despite not being able to read the magazines. Italian wasn't an option at secondary school, so I studied it at university from 1987-1991, and I have NEVER REGRETTED IT! Forza Italia!
- •Spanish 🇪🇸Hmm, I don't really speak Spanish! I took a few classes that were offered by my employer early on in my career; but in Spanish speaking countries, I can usually understand what is being said if people speak slowly, because of my knowledge of French and Italian.