MY LIFE IN TEN SONGS
As requested by @nathanveshecco - THANK YOU!
- •CHILDHOOD: I Say A Little Prayer (Aretha Franklin)The moment I wake up / Before I put on my make up ~ as a child, my mum would always say: "I'll pray for you." This made me feel safe.
- •YOUNG TEEN: Our Lips Are Sealed (The Go-Go's)Can you hear them / They talk about us / Telling lies / Well, that's no surprise ~ I was so lacking in confidence and rather anxious. Things got better in secondary school though.
- •OLDER TEEN: Teenage Kicks (The Undertones)I need excitement, oh, I need it bad / And it's the best I ever had ~ Ahh! So much dating angst...
- •EARLY 20s: Into the groove (Madonna)Music can be such a revelation / Dancing around you feel the sweet sensation ~ FUN TIMES! At parties, with my friends, dancing like no-one is watching!
- •LATE 20s: Many Rivers To Cross (Jimmy Cliff)And this loneliness won't leave me alone / It's such a drag to be on your own ~ I am so grateful for the love and support of family & friends during my chemotherapy, but no-one I knew had gone through it, and I felt so alone.
- •EARLY 30s: Somebody To Love (Queen)I just gotta get out of this prison cell / Someday I'm gonna be free, Lord! ~ All my friends were getting married and I wondered if that's what I should be doing too? Instead I started working overseas!
- •LATE 30s: Down Under (Men At Work)Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder? / You better run, you better take cover ~ Three wonderful years in Australia! Mostly carefree.
- •EARLY 40s: Girl on Fire (Alicia Keys)She's living in a world and it's on fire ~ And after Australia, back to London for 2 years, then New York followed by Brasilia; then London again, then Ottawa. On my own.
- •MID 40s: I'm Like A Bird (Nelly Furtado)I don't know where my soul is / I don't know where my home is ~ So many amazing adventures and fantastic friends! Still, very faint concerns about whether I should settle in one place.
- •NOW: Landslide (Dixie Chicks)Can the child within my heart rise above? ~ Can she? I don't know.