ON THIS DAY (1987) 😢
A terrible disaster that I'll always remember.
- •The Herald of Free Enterprise, a roll-on, roll-off ferry capsized.
- •The ferry rolled over in just 90 seconds, soon after its departure from the Belgian port of Zeebrugge.
- •The assistant boatswain was blamed for not shutting the bow doors. There was no time to send an SOS, no time to lower the life boats, no time to put on life jackets.
- •193 passengers and crew lost their lives.
- •It is the deadliest maritime disaster involving a British ship in peace time since 1919.