TRAVEL TUESDAY: PART 19: ELECTION SPECIAL - TIMES SQUARE, NEW YORK
I was working in New York in November 2008. I will NEVER FORGET the joy and positivity in Times Square when the news came through that Barack Obama had been elected as the 44th President of the United States of America! 🇺🇸
- •Dinner in MidtownToo excited to remember what we ate, but we were in Duke's, a diner on 3rd.
- •A balmy nightWe asked the staff where we should go next for the best atmosphere. Without hesitation, they urged us to go to Times Square. I remember that it was quite a warm evening, so no jackets required!
- •English men (and women!) in New YorkWe got such a buzz from the crowds! There were so many people there already, but they just kept on coming!!!
- •And then the news came through!
- •THE CROWD WENT WILD!!!I saw grown men and women, African Americans, Hispanic Americans and Caucasian Americans CRYING WITH JOY!!! There was so much hugging and kissing! 💋
- •No-one wanted to leave!We basked in the glow of this momentous occasion. We heard Senator McCain's concession speech and then waited eagerly for the President-elect's acceptance speech from Chicago... But the news feed failed! AAARGGGHHH!
- •So we ran from Times Square back to 3rd Avenue......To watch it on TV. I was too buzzed to sleep. I started e-mailing and texting my friends back in the UK - and loads of them were awake, and going nuts! 😂