THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THE BELMONT TONIGHT
American Pharoah could win the triple crown tonight. (We'll use AP for short)
- •Last time a horse won the triple crown: 1978. Jimmy Carter was president.
- •If you want to watch JUST the race, tune in to NBC at 6:50 PM ET.And IF AP wins, tune into SNY because I'll be anchoring our coverage. Yay. Get psyched.
- •AP's odds: 3-5.
- •Belmont is a mile and a half long. It will be longest race of AP's career.
- •AP will start in 5th positionLast time a horse won the Belmont from there: 1991.
- •AP's jockey, Victor Espinoza, is the first jockey ever with 3 chances to win the triple crown. (Lost all 3)
- •AP's trainer, Bob Baffert, lost his last 3 attempts at the triple crown as well.
- •Last 6 times a horse has had a chance at a triple crown, a rested horse has wonMeaning either that horse skipped the Preakness, or didn't participate in any of the triple crown races entirely.