WHAT FREUD WAS RIGHT ABOUT
He gets a lot of flack for being a misled, misogynist, unscientific quack. That's not all untrue - but let's keep the baby, huh?
- •Listening to your patient is a good place to start.
- •Early experiences set the templates for later life.
- •Transference exists! You will play out your past relationships in your current ones - even with your shrink.
- •Ego defences: your ego will stop at nothing to defend itself if it feels undermined - rationalisation, repression, projection, denial, etc.
- •These things can fuck you up: your parents, norms of civilised society, and religion.
- •Your super ego will constantly demand that you do more to satisfy it (read achievement complex) yet nevertheless be forever dissatisfied with your accomplishments (read inferiority complex).
- •The self is in constant conflict. You are ambivalent. Accept it.
- •The saying is of it is not enough. Insight isn't even enough - you need to work it through.
- •"Psychoanalysis [psychotherapy] is in essence a cure through love."
- •"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."