WHAT FREUD WAS RIGHT ABOUT
He gets a lot of flack for being a misled, misogynist, unscientific quack. That's not all untrue - but let's keep the baby, huh?
- 1.Listening to your patient is a good place to start.
- 2.Early experiences set the templates for later life.
- 3.Transference exists! You will play out your past relationships in your current ones - even with your shrink.
- 4.Ego defences: your ego will stop at nothing to defend itself if it feels undermined - rationalisation, repression, projection, denial, etc.
- 5.These things can fuck you up: your parents, norms of civilised society, and religion.
- 6.Your super ego will constantly demand that you do more to satisfy it (read achievement complex) yet nevertheless be forever dissatisfied with your accomplishments (read inferiority complex).
- 7.The self is in constant conflict. You are ambivalent. Accept it.
- 8.The saying is of it is not enough. Insight isn't even enough - you need to work it through.
- 9."Psychoanalysis [psychotherapy] is in essence a cure through love."
- 10."Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."