WHAT FREUD WAS WRONG ABOUT
Lots, but please let's keep the baby.
- •Penis Envy is not about a woman's desire to have a penis, rather it is symbolically representative of the lack of power women had in Freud's time. It is a description of patriarchy, not women.
- •Cocaine is not a good cure for heroine addiction.
- •Putting theory before people - on this one sometimes Freud couldn't see the wood for the trees.
- •The clitoris is a perfectly legitimate erotogenic zone and clitoral orgasms are perfectly fine, thank you very much.
- •Dora was perfectly right to be disgusted at the sexual advances of the husband of the woman who was having an affair with her father (just read it again, slowly).
- •The death instinct is a dubious concept indeed.
- •Masturbation won't deplete your libido, nor make you "neurasthenic".
- •Being a "blank screen" therapist is not a brilliant idea.
- •He should have been more open minded - he was surrounded by brilliant minds who would have vastly improved psychoanalysis.From the start: Adler, Jung, Ferenczi, Klein, Horney, Reich, etc.
- •He was rigid. The pursuit of life extends beyond libidinal drives and dreams represent lots mor than wish fulfilment.
- •NB He was fucking brilliant - but also a man of his time. If you doubt his brilliance, read Mourning and Melancholia - usually overlooked in your average "intro to Freud".