Nootropics Your Body Makes
AKA neurotrophins. A group of peptides/proteins that protect your brain and nervous system (among many other things)
- •BDNF-brain derived neurotrophic factor-helpful for memory, neurogenesis. Appears to be disrupted in multiple states of mental Illness. Increases dramatically with exercise.
- •NGF-nerve growth factor-first identified neurotrophic. Numerous effects. Mood, cognition, antiinflammatory, HPA axis regulation
- •GDNF-Glial cell line derived neurotrophic factor-promotes neuron, particularly dopaminergic and motor neuron, survival.
- •CNTF-Ciliary Neurotrophic Factor-promotes glial cell survival and satiety (similar to effects of leptin).
- •Ketone bodies-not neurotrophins but certainly fit the bill. They suppress appetite, improve focus-probably due to enhanced neuron energy production