5 Things You Never Knew About America's Notorious Assassin
These facts about John Wilkes Booth will shock you.
- •According to Booth family lore, when JWB was being nursed at 6 months old, his mother saw flames from the fire form the word "Country" then shift to form her son's name. She suspects her son would become a soldier and die for his country.
- •John's brother Edwin is even today regarded as one of the greatest actors in American history.
- •General Ulysses S. Grant was supposed to be in the State Box at Ford's Theatre with Mr. And Mrs. Lincoln and thus would also have been assassinated; however, Mrs. Grant had a bad feeling and insisted they not attend.
- •John Wilkes Booth had expected to be hailed a hero of the South for killing Lincoln, and was shocked to find his actions almost universally condemned.
- •Mary Surratt, a widowed boardinghouse keeper and Confederate sympathizer, was sentenced to hang for conspiring with JWB. She was the first woman to be executed by the U.S. Federal Government.
- •If you want to learn more about one of the most notorious assassins in America, check out FATES AND TRAITORS by bestselling author Jennifer Chiaverini.