The Healthiest Vegetables to Eat in Summer 🍆🍅🌽🌶
Here's what you should be looking for—and exactly how to buy the best—when you're shopping for summer vegetables.
- •ArugulaThe Payoff: Vitamin K, which may improve insulin sensitivity, offering protection against diabetes.
- •BeetsThe Payoff: Nitrate, which may help lower blood pressure.
- •Bell PeppersThe Payoff: All bell peppers are loaded with antioxidants, especially vitamin C. Red peppers lead the pack, with nearly three times the amount of vitamin C found in oranges.
- •EggplantThe Payoff: Chlorogenic acid, a phenol antioxidant that scavenges disease-fighting free radicals.
- •Green BeansThe Payoff: Fiber (4 grams in 1 cup), which can reduce all-cause mortality, according to Dutch researchers.
- •TomatoesThe Payoff: Lycopene, a carotenoid antioxidant that helps fend off prostate cancer.
- •ZucchiniThe Payoff: Riboflavin, a B vitamin needed for red blood cell production and for converting carbohydrates to energy.