A FEW TIPS MY FUTURE DENTIST FRIEND TOLD ME ABOUT DENTAL HYGIENE.
My friend is in her last year of dentistry and she's always telling us handy little tricks, so I thought I would share a few.
- •Floss first.Most people know this but just in case you don't.
- •Don't wash your mouth out with water or mouthwash when you finish.This apparently washes away the fluoride from your toothpaste and it's the fluoride that protects your chompers and keeps them healthy.
- •Make sure your toothpaste contains fluoride.As I said in the last point this is the most important ingredient in your toothpaste. Don't bother with herbal, organic , froofy toothpaste (which is apparently a thing) because you may as well not be using any at all.
- •If you can't be arsed or feel like skipping or run out of time to brush your teeth it's better if it happens in the morning.Brushing your teeth at the end of the day is the most important time. You have all the food and bacteria that has built up during the day and you need to get rid of it. And unless you're a sleep eater you probably won't have that same problem in the morning. But you should still brush. Morning breath, ew.
- •If you brush your teeth well enough, you only NEED to do it once a day.By well enough I mean going over every surface of each tooth methodically until they're sparkling clean. It's probably safer to brush at least twice though and as already discussed there are other reasons to brush your teeth. But at least you can stop fretting that all your teeth will fall out because you occasionally forget to clean them.
- •Don't bother lying to your dentist. Your mouth will reveal all your secrets. Damn traitor.Yep your dentist knows that you lied about your coffee intake or how much red wine you drink or whether you smoke and how many sugary treats you eat. And if that's not a reason to be scared of your dentist I don't know what is.