The Drinks List 2
- •DE BORTOLI ‘Villages’ Pinot Noir 2015YARRA VALLEY, VICTORIA The current instalment of De Bortoli’s ‘Villages’ Pinot Noir is the latest in a long line of jaw-droppingly priced offerings from this standout Yarra Valley producer. Multi-tiered, rich & seductive, this is everyday Pinot dialled up to 11. Expect smells of red punnet fruit, sweet spice & earth, while the palate unwinds silky, long & fine. Drink it with barbecued quail.
- •LITTLE REDDIE ‘New’ 2016HEATHCOTE, VICTORIA Pat Underwood’s 2016 ‘NEW’ is one of the most dangerously drinkable reds you will put your lips to this year. A split of the Italian varieties Nebbiolo & Refosco, & leaning heavily on whole-berry fermentation during production, expect a bright & bouncy nose of red cherry, blueberry bubblegum & sweet spice, while a mouthful of bright juicy fruit & crunchy acid will keep you reaching for more. Drink it with barbecued chicken with chimichurri.
- •DUBSTYLE ‘Red Mix No.3’ 2015MCLAREN VALE, SOUTH AUSTRALIA DubStyle is the side project of Dudley & Irina Brown, the talented duo behind McLaren Vale label Inkwell. Drawing fruit from notable sites around the region, DubStyle offers the duo an opportunity to reinterpret rather than reproduce. From Grenache, Shiraz & Mataro, expect a multi-level nose of spiced blood plum, chocolate & cedary oak, while the palate is plush, rich & delicious. Drink it with smoky beef short ribs.
- •HARVEST Syrah 2016ADELAIDE HILLS, SOUTH AUSTRALIA Brendan & Laura Carter – the duo behind wine label Unico Zelo & Applewood Distillery – have just launched their profit-sharing co-operative, Harvest. Set up to support local growers, the debut Syrah (now all but sold out) is drawn from sites around the northern Adelaide Hills & comes layered with smells of violet, black cherry & dry ground spice. Drink it with Friday night pizza on the couch.
- •CASA ROJO ‘Musso’ Tempranillo 2015TIERRA DE CASTILLA, SPAIN Drawn from organically farmed vineyards in Spain’s Tierra de Castilla, ‘Musso’ is a delicious drink-now example of Spain’s star red grape. In true Tempranillo style, expect layers of pure blue & black fruit with an underlying savoury edge. It’s delicious in your mouth, too, full, plush & nicely supported by a wash of chalky tannins. Drink it with harissa-spiced lamb cutlets.
- •PACCAMORA Nero D’Avola 2014SICILY, ITALY Hailing from the warm sandy vineyards of Sicily, which in this case sit at 500 meters above sea level in Favara San Cataldo, Nero d’Avola has long represented some of the best-value red wine buying on the planet. Expect a pretty nose of bitter cherry, plum & rolling tobacco, while the palate is plush & mineral-textured with great intensity of sweet fruit and a clean drying finish. Pizza with good salami and black olives is the way to go.