7 THOUGHTS ABOUT MY DAD
Who would have turned 70, yesterday.
- 1.I learned to be affectionate from him.The warmest hugs, the heartiest laugh, and he always smelled good.
- 2.He was a problem-solver.He always had an alternative solution or a different perspective. Maddening and lifesaving. http://bit.ly/1UxaTEN
- 3.He loved the finer experiences in life.And taught us to love them, too. We didn't always have money, but Dad showed us that experiences were more valuable than things.
- 4.As he became more and more sick, he also became sweeter.The bravado that made him so charismatic mellowed, but his sweetness remained and was highlighted.
- 5.He loved his grandchildren fiercely.We all knew he'd be an awesome Zaide, and I'm happy that Simone and the older cousins got to know him as a bluff, adoring grandfather, before things went sideways.
- 6.I channel him often.Usually, it's a "What would Dad do?" situation. How he would respond to something or fix a difficult problem. Sometimes, it's more of a conscious decision to NOT be like him in a certain situation.
- 7.I miss him, but I also feel like he's still around.His energy didn't dissipate. He's there when I eat something delicious, or give Simone advice. He's at our family gatherings. He visits me in my dreams, all smiles and hugs.