THINGS I ALWAYS HEAR AFTER I TELL PEOPLE I'M A DANCER.
We love that you want to know about the world of dance, it's phenomenal & thank you for your inquiry! But this is the general dialogue I have experienced, and when you answer the same basic questions your whole life, it gets a little frustrating.
- •Can you do the splits?Always one of the first questions, without fail. But, yes.
- •Can you show me?No.
- •Ohh come on, please?!No. Please, no. Being able to do the splits is not what makes me a dancer.
- •Oh, I used to do gymnastics when I was little!Greeaaatttttt. Not the same thing. But good for you!
- •"Oh you're a dancer, like exotic dancing?"ME: *walks away*. No beef to exotic dancers, those ladies are powerful AF and incredible! But that's just generally one of the first things I hear.
- •Contemporary dance? What's that?Okay, I don't mind answering this one. It's a good question! But it's very difficult to define & explain without a PowerPoint presentation and lengthy examples. So sit down & get ready for your mind to be blown!
- •So what are you going to do after you finish with dancing?I'm getting my Bachelor of Dance. There is no 'finish'. I will be dancing or having something to do with dance. Dance.
- •Okay, but how will you support yourself?Struggling artists lyf. I understand your concern, I am very aware. Thank you for playing.
- •If you're a dancer, why are you eating that cake?Shhhhhhh... 🍰