WE ARE ONE IMPULSE AWAY FROM INSANITY.
A point Rainn Wilson made on Tim Ferris' podcast got me thinking...
- •We experience hundreds of impulses every day.Usually, you acknowledge them and then move on with your normal, socially acceptable behaviour.
- •But what if you acted upon them? For example;Here are some of my recent impulses, and the more universal ones, I assume.
- •Making loud/funny outbursts in a quiet place.Libraries, cinemas, trains. Insane.
- •Falling off a cliff."What would happen if I just took that step?" Your inner voice whispers. You take a step towards crazy town.
- •Bursting out into song/dance.Fun! But insane.
- •Turning the steering wheel and driving off that bridge you're on.Double insane.
- •Suddenly running really fast along a crowded street.An interesting social experiment. But you will definitely get looks of accusatory insanity.
- •Verbalising those conversations in your head.Crazy.
- •Dropping a knife and it hitting your foot.You're a nut case. That will hurt.
- •Most of these would simply cause discomfort in others and earn you a sideways glance.
- •People might move away from you on the bus.
- •But you could also die...
- •Keep your impulses in check, kids!
- •Any other impulses you've experienced? ➕
- •Tell people how I *really* feel about themSuggested by @imc
- •Take off my shirtSuggested by @imc