[📚] REASONS WHY PORTLANDIA IS NO LONGER ALLOWED TO FILM AT REAL-LIFE FEMINIST BOOKSTORE
In a blog post titled, "F**k Portlandia," the Portland-based, feminist bookstore In Other Words announced they will no longer allow the IFC comedy show Portlandia to film its "Women and Women First" sketch at their location: http://inotherwords.org/2016/09/28/fuck-portlandia/
- •Filming was not sustainable for the store or its neighboring businesses.Filming of the show left the real-life store "a mess, our staff mistreated, our neighbors forced to close and lose business for a day without warning, and our repeated attempts to obtain accountability or resolution dismissed."
- •Being on Portlandia doesn't make the store any money."We are paid a small flat fee per episode filmed at in Other Words. This fee does not cover the profits lost by our having to remain closed for filming." Furthermore, "tourists and fans of the show come to our door to stand outside, take selfies, and then leave. The vast majority of them don’t come inside."
- •The "Women and Women First" segments are trans-antagonistic and trans-misogynistic."'Fred Armisen in a wig and a dress’ is a deeply shitty joke whose sole punchline throws trans femmes under the bus by holding up their gender presentation for mockery and ridicule."
- •There are a tiny number of people of color on Portlandia."In Other Words is in the heart of a historically Black neighborhood in Northeast Portland...Black folks and people of color have become involved at In Other Words, Portlandia has only gotten steadfastly more white. Oh and also: the last time the show filmed in our space, the production crew asked to us to remove the Black Lives Matter sign on our window. We refused."
- •Portlandia is fueling mass displacement in Portland."Fred and Carrie are on billboards and realtors have gleefully begun using Portlandia’s popularity and insipid humor (‘put a bird on it!’) to make displacing the communities that made Portland a great place in the first place something twee and whimsical for the incoming technocrat hordes."
- •What do you think?