MY FIRST FOUR UNPUBLISHED NOVELS
- •My Father's Business, 1987I'd just decided not to go into my father's business in order to become a writer so writing about my father's business made perfect sense. Editors admired the 'energy' of the writing.
- •The Boy/Girl ThingA collection of connected stories about Joe and Jeena and their tumultuous relationship. No one was really interested in it. Joe was not a great boyfriend: Jeena walked in on him giving oral sex to another woman and he tried to tell her it was just a friendly foot rub.
- •New BoyAbout an orphan who attaches himself to a lovely family and destroys them all. The final scene shows him walking through a wall of fire -- the house of the family he destroyed, which burns down. He's like, evil, man. Very powerful, editors who rejected it said.
- •WeatherGirlSemi-autobiographical novel about a guy who has a huge crush on the TV Weathergirl (what we called them back then). Stuff happens.
- •I just remembered: I have three other books no one published.
- •p.s. All of these novels had agents attached who tried to sell them.
- •All of these books are really really bad. I'm very happy no one will ever read them.
- •It took me14 years to write a book anyone wanted to give me money for.
- •Most writers have similar stories. I think.