Jew-haters Whose Work I Admire
It's a battle, but on some level I've made my peace separating art from artist. I do decide case by case. I mean some Mel Gibson movies are okay, I guess, but fuck him. His work I can live without.
- •Roald DahlThis one hit me like a ton of bricks, as I grew up reading/loving his dark take on the world and its inhabitants, blissfully unaware that he was, shall we say, a non-fan of my people. I even quoted his novel My Uncle Oswald in my high school yearbook!
- •Edith WhartonEthan Frome! The Children! Great writing. But her deathbed assertion that she "hated the Jews" plays in a mental loop as I read her.
- •Richard WagnerJust kidding. Don't know much of his work beyond Ride of the Valkyries -- and that largely from "What's Opera, Doc?" Figured it would make me seem more sophisticated to put him on this list.
- •Edgar DegasThem little bronze dancers w the cloth tutus and the horsehair? Dig 'em; love my multimedia. Too bad Degas went big-time antisemite post-Dreyfus.
- •George Bernard ShawGreat quotations: "If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must Man be of learning from experience." "A fashion is nothing but an induced epidemic." "A lifetime of happiness! No man alive could bear it; it would be hell on earth." Less great: "...stop being Jews and start being human beings."
- •VoltaireDo I really like his work, or am I just a fan of the light opera, Candide? Probably the latter. Leonard Bernstein? He was good for the Jews.
- •T.S. Eliot.Genuinely interesting and important poet, and I'm never convinced by the apologists who say he wasn't really anti-Semitic.Suggested by @josh
- •Amira BarakaHas a bad breakup with his white Jewish wife and did not take it gracefully, to say the least.Suggested by @LevNovak
- •Yahweh: "And the LORD said unto Moses, I have seen this people, and, behold, it is a stiffnecked people: Now therefore let me alone, that my wrath may wax hot against them, and that I may consume them." Exodus 32:9Suggested by @vanzorn