Original Cast Recordings I Listened to Incessantly as a Kid, and the Numbers I Knew I Could Crush
Note: many of these I owned on 8-track. Please comment with your favorite musicals and your personal showstopper in them.
- •Pippin"War is a Science."
- •Jesus Christ Superstar"King Herod's Song"
- •Guys and Dolls"Fugue for Tinhorns" -- all three parts. Note: I would go on to play Nathan Detroit in community theatre, high school, and college. The musical director of my high school production tried to force me to sing the parts of "Sue Me" that are traditionally spoken ("Adelaide. Adelaide!") I refused and explained to her that it was a character piece. She told me I had a "star complex." We were both right.
- •The Pirates of Penzance"Major General's Song"
- •A Chorus Line"Tits and Ass"
- •How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying"I Believe in You"
- •Sweeney Todd"A Little Priest" Thanks to @fisackerly for reminding me about this one. Check out his fantastic Sondheim List.
- •Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor DreamcoatAll roles; all songs. For one of my birthdays, my cousins made me a recording of the entire show, playing all the music and singing all the supporting roles, so That I could sing along and "star" in the show. One of the best gifts I've ever been given.