Songs Frequently Played by My 17 Year Old Daughter and Me on the Way to the Bus
It's maybe a 13 minute drive. We can get 4 or 5 songs in. We take turns picking, but play only things we both like. One of my favorite ways to bond w my girl. She lets me sing along (!).
- •"Deep Dark Truthful Mirror" -- Elvis CostelloGosh I love this song. Great lyrics ("A butterfly drinks a turtle's tears, but how do you know he really needs it?") and Elvis is at his vocal limit throughout.
- •"Can't Pin Me Down" -- Marina and the DiamondsAwesome anti-girl anthem girl anthem.
- •"No Faith In Brooklyn" -- Hoodie Allen (feat. Jhameel)Good one by excellent/unthreatening Jew rapper. Plus, her best friend is named Brooklyn, so haha.
- •"Watch The Tapes" -- LCD Soundsystem"Read all the pamphlets and watch the tapes! Read all the pamphlets and watch the tapes! Read all the pamphlets and watch the tapes!" I don't know what this means; I try to live by it.
- •"Blank Space" and/or "Out Of The Woods" -- Taylor SwiftI particularly enjoy the anthemic nature of the latter. After a T.S. tune, I will almost always tell my daughter "I really like her relationship songs."
- •"Oh, Goddamnit" -- Hot Hot HeatLove this song, but I hate that word. It's the yeshiva boy in me. Didn't even feel right to write it. Often, to spare me anxiety, we'll play "Bandages" instead.
- •"Mardy Bum" -- Arctic MonkeysOh that cute little accent!
- •"Cobrastyle" -- Teddybears"No press trigger mi nuh press people button/Nuh bodda chat, come face mi wid somethin."
- •"Clown Strike" -- Elvis CostelloIt's one of my great joys that I was able to turn her on to E.C. I like that she likes this relatively obscure one. "(Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes," "Watching ATG Detectives," and "Pump It Up" get a lot of play too.
- •"Smoke" -- MoorsGet this great self-titled album!
- •"Don't Say Nuthin!" -- The RootsGood shit.